In honor of Cancer Prevention Month, we want to share healthy tips to raise awareness on lowering cancer risk. According to the American Institute for Cancer Research, 40 percent of cancers can be prevented through healthy eating, exercise and lifestyle changes.
Here are a few simple lifestyle changes that can become healthy habits:
- Add some vegetables and legumes to your diet
- Stay away from sugary drinks
- Be active for 30 minutes every day
For a quick and healthy recipe, try this beef and black bean chili recipe. Chili doesn’t require many ingredients so check your pantry first before heading to the grocery store. Plus, the chili recipe is a great source of protein and fiber.
- 1 can unsalted beef broth
- 1 can reduced-sodium black bean, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 pound of ground beef (96% lean)
- 1 can canned green chilies or jalapeño peppers
- 1 can unsalted diced tomatoes
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings.
- Stir in beans, broth, tomatoes, green chilies and chili powder. Then, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Let it simmer for 20 minutes to bring out the flavors and stir occasionally. Garnish with toppings, as desired.