With a high number of cases of people with influenza (flu) viruses, the MD Anderson Proton Therapy Center wants to make sure you are protected as well as others.
No one is exempt from the flu (even healthy people can get the flu) so the most important step everyone can take is to get the flu vaccine every year. It is especially important to protect children, pregnant women, people older than 65 years of age and those with certain chronic medical conditions.
Unlike a cold, the flu virus develops suddenly. People with the flu begin experiencing symptoms that include:
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Vomiting and diarrhea
Prevent the spread of the flu virus
Here are everyday actions you can take to reduce your risk of getting the flu such as:
- Avoid close contact with sick people
- While you are sick, limit contact with others
- If you are sick with a flu-like illness, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends staying home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze then throw the tissue in the trash
- Make sure to wash your hands often with soap and water.
- Try and avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like the flu
The flu has now spread to several states in the country. So if you do travel please remember to take the necessary precautions to avoid the flu. If you are experiencing flu-like symptoms or not sure if you have the flu or a cold, please contact your doctor.
Remember, germs are everywhere — doorknobs, pens, and phones — so keep your hands clean.